Recognised Students (Visiting Doctoral Students)

Students registered for a PhD at a university outside the UK and conducting postgraduate research on Latin America who want to do research in Oxford without registering for a degree of the University (including Brazilian students with a Bolsa Sanduíche from CNPq, CAPES, FAPESP etc) can apply for Recognised Student status with any department or faculty of the University, including the Latin American Centre.

It is possible to apply to be a Recognised Student for 1 term minimum and up to a maximum of 3 terms (or 1 academic year). There is no formal course of study or formal association with an Oxford college with this status and Recognised Students are responsible for finding their own accommodation in Oxford. Recognised Students may use University libraries and can attend lectures and seminars with permission. Admission is at the discretion of the Latin American Centre Management Committee, which is responsible for appointing the student’s academic advisor.

If admitted by the Latin American Centre, you will be allocated an academic advisor who will give general advice about your research topic, but not systematic instruction, as you will be sufficiently well advanced in your studies to undertake research largely unsupervised.

To find out more, please visit University of Oxford's Recognised Students website.

The recommended application deadlines are:

Term of admission       EU/Swiss Applicants        All other applicants

Michaelmas 2018          Friday 31 August 2018        Friday 27 July 2018

Hilary 2019                    Friday 30 November 2018  Friday 26 October 2018

Trinity 2019                   Friday 1 March 2019            Friday 1 February 2019

How to Apply

1.     Read through 'LAC Recognised Students - Guidance' document at the bottom of this page

2.     Read University guidance on Recognised students

3.     Email documents to LAC Admissions Secretary

4.     If accepted, complete Application Form and submit to University.

Entry Requirements

· Original transcripts from the degrees you have previously obtained

· 500-1000 word research proposal in English

·  2 academic references from senior members of faculty at your current university

·  A letter of application

·  English language competency (if you require a Tier 4 visa)

·  A current C.V.

Visa Information for International Students

If you are a non-EEA /Swiss national, then you have two options for visa entry into the UK.

Option 1:
Come to the UK as a ‘Short-Term Student

Under this option you may stay in the UK up to six months, but no more (e.g. October to March, or two academic terms). You would not be allowed to take any employment in the UK, and you would not be able to stay any longer than six months, or to transfer to another programme of study.

Option 2:
Apply for a ‘Tier 4 (General) student visa

More information about the Tier 4 (General) student visa can be found here.

Planning Ahead

As soon as you receive your Offer Letter, you will need to start applying for your visa. On your request, LAC will arrange for a Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS) number to be provided to you.

It is recommended that for detailed information about Tier 4 Visa and Student Visitor Visa, you consult the UK Border Agency website.

Finally, in line with requirements from the UK Border Agency, you must have your passport scanned when you report to the Student Information & Advisory Service on your arrival. If applicable, you should also ensure that you register with the police.

Fees and Funding

The department student visitor charges are £2,000 per term (£6,000 per academic year) for applications received after 1 July 2016. 


Recognised Students